Magnesium is a vital mineral that is part of more than 300 chemical reactions in our body.
- It keeps our muscles and nerves functioning properly.
- It keeps the heartbeat steady.
- It helps the body in making protein, bone and DNA.
- It keeps the joint cartilage healthy.
- It helps in maintaining a balanced blood sugar level.
Our bodies can’t make magnesium so we need to take it orally. The amount of magnesium our body needs depends upon our gender and age.
- For females of age 19 and above it is 310 mg per day
- For pregnant females it is 350 mg per day
- For males under age 30 it is 400 mg a day and above age 30 it is 420 mg a day.
The best way to take magnesium is through food. In order to maintain a healthy level of magnesium in our bodies, leafy green vegetables, beans, fish, nuts and whole grains are advised. Let’s discuss each of these in detail.
What Foods Are High in Magnesium
Fish is the top source of magnesium. The following fish swim in the mineral magnesium:
- Atlantic pollock
- Atlantic mackerel
- Chinook salmon
The following vegetables and fruits have a lot of magnesium:
- Potato with skin
- collard greens,
- turnip greens
- mustard greens.
- Swiss chard
- Prickly pear
The following whole grains are rich in magnesium:
- Cooked Quinoa
- Bran cereals
- Toasted Wheat germ
- breakfast cereals fortified with magnesium
Nuts, Seeds and Legumes
Following are good magnesium sources:
- Cooked Black-eyed peas
- Cooked Tempeh
- Soy nuts
- Cooked beans including black, lima, navy, pinto, and chickpeas
- Peanut butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia Seeds
You can also find magnesium in soy, cheese, and yoghourt.
Magnesium in Your Water
Water also contains magnesium depending upon its source and brand.
Besides natural sources, magnesium can also be taken in vitamins and supplements. Furthermore, some food products are sometimes enriched with magnesium.
It’s very rich in magnesium, about 64 mg in a 1-ounce (28-gram) serving.
Magnesium is one of the important minerals that are crucial for good health. Thankfully, it is found in many delicious foods. Including all these foods in your diet will help you in maintaining a balanced level of magnesium in your body.